Wisconsin is truly a beautiful state that has a variety of things to see and do for both natives and visitors. While Wisconsin definitely exhibits the four seasons and can have some spectacular weather it is also known for its harsh winters. Should you be making a trip to Wisconsin this winter, fear not! While winters can be VERY cold and full of snow and ice, there are still a number of great activities to do during the colder months. Check out our list of the top 5 things you must do while visiting Wisconsin in the winter months.
Wisconsin’s Winter Activities
- Snow Trains- There are a number of different snow trains that you can board and enjoy a nice warm ride through the winter landscapes of Wisconsin, depending on the area you are in. Both kids and adults will find a train ride through the winter scenery both fun and relaxing, plus you get to see the beauty of winter from a warm train car!
- Apostle Island Lake Shore- When the winter weather permits you can visit this magical place and explore the ice caves! While it can definitely be cold the scenery and beauty will indeed take your breath away!
- Winterfest Sled Dog Race- Found in Merrill, the dog sled race takes place EVERY year and is fun for the whole family. With a number of races to watch that showcase both adults and children, they are fun to watch and cheer on while also playing in the snow!
- Cascade Mountain- This beautiful mountain terrain with its numerous tube chutes is the perfect place to go snow tubing! With lifts that take you to the top of the chute and chutes for all levels of tubers it is definitely fun in the snow that you will not want to miss.
- Edgewater Ice Skating Rink- This enormous ice rink is found in Madison and has views of the State capitol for skaters to enjoy while they skate. Whether you are just a beginner or have the skating capabilities to get you in the winter olympics this ice skating rink is big enough for everyone. With views and scenery to enjoy while you skate it’s definitely a fun winter experience.
While there are many things to do and see throughout the state of Wisconsin, these are a couple of our very favorite. While the weather can be be harsh and freezing as long as you wear your long johns and bundle up accordingly there is so much winter fun to be had and activities to be enjoyed. Check the weather before planning your activities so that you can plan the accordingly. When in doubt get out in all the snow and make a snowman or enjoy nature’s beauty that is all around with a walk and nice cup of hot cocoa or coffee from one of the many local coffee shops!